Saturday June 7, 2008:
Maris Hearn remembered
Despite cancer, Maris had enormous energy and an inspiring love of living. She'd be the one you'd always notice at ...http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-164828975.html
Maris participated in a workshop at Sloan Kettering where poeple
were urged to look at their lives as a legacy and produce something to
pass on the legacy they would like to leave. Many wrote stories, Maris
chose to tell hers in a 6 CD compilation.The headings are: Life,
Lesbianism, Country, Activism, Peace/war/hope, Cancer
Today's show features cuts from her legacy CD collection. I've
planned to play three from each area and then follow up with a few cuts
honoring her Calendar tradition for events which happened on June 7th
and June 8th. Our memorial concert for Maris last year featured
Pat Humphries and Sandy O. Tomorrow's concert will feature Rod
MacDonald and Peggy Atwood.
Disc 1: Life: Childhood, Family, Me
1. Dar Williams- When I Was A Boy- Honesty Room- Razor &
2. Joan Baez & Mercedes Sosa - Gracias a la Vida
Best of Mercedes Sosa -Polygram International
3. Janis Ian - Honor them All - Hunger - Windham Hill
Disc 2: Lesbianism, Love, Earth / Water
4. David Roth: May the Light of Love
Rod Macdonald called in at this point, from the airport, heading
north for a gig near boston and then driving out to forestburgh. Rod
remembered the last time he was in the area, having Maris sitting right
in front enthusiastically clapping loudly through any political or
social comment to which she agreed. He said he respected her
committment to politics because its not just a moment or one issue, its
truly an ongoing committment.
He introduced his cut below, by explaining the motivation. He was one of the voters who voted on the famous b utterfly ballot.
"I wrote this song during the 2000 election aftermath when the outcome was still unclear....I voted on the butterfly ballot here in Florida, that had people voting for one candidate thinking they were voting for another, followed by squads of lawyers trying to prevent people's votes from being counted at all"
5. Rod MacDonald - For the Good of America - Recognition - Wind River
back to Maris and her legacy CD collection and the second subject of Love:
6. Ferron- Harmless Love
7. Peggy Seeger - Love will Linger On - Love Will Linger On -
8. Burns Sisters (S. Van Zandt) - I am A Patriot- Close to Home -
"I only know one party and it is freedom"
9. Sara Thomsen- Is It For Freedom - Fertile Ground - sarathomsen.com
Whose dying for our comfort in this land...
If we stand idly by, we share in the blame
10. David Massengill: No 1 in America- Coming Up For Air - Flying
imjagine "....when a black is president and not a pawn"
Maris Hearn ...... describing
herself... “I’m a vegetarian,
earth-lover, peace/justice/freedom-nik, lesbian, biker, radical
ecofeminist of sorts, language-lover, survivor and all-around
non-standard American....” From the WJFF website, and an article
reprinted from 2003 during hte 11th year anniversary of the gumbo shop.
Disc 4 Activism
11. Pat Humphries - Bound for Freedom - Hands - Appleseed
"how the greedly live off poor and hungry people everywhere"
"I will organize for justice, i Will raise my voice in song"
"our children will be free to lead the world and carry on"
12. Holy Near - I Aint Afraid- And still we Sing - Calico
"Free up from the gods of war and glory"
13. John McCutcheon - Not in my Name- Greatest Story Never Told- Red
Cisc 5 Peace/War, Home, Hope
14. Julie Gold - From a Distance- single with Nanci Griffith, Raul Maro, Donna Summer
done in three languages for "from a distance there is harmony and it
echos through the land
"cest le cour du le mond entiere"
15. Pete Seeger: Dr. King on Violence- Seeds - Appleseed
you can kill the hater, but you increase hate
hate cannot drive out hate
only love can drive out hate
16. Magpie - Give Light - Give Light - Sliced Bread
"teach peace and people will find the way"
Disc 6 Cancer, Time, Death
17. Susan Werner - Still Believe- Midwestern Saturday Night
"she had nothing much to fear,
she lost her pony tail, when the big c came to call.."
"wanna go with me to italy next year....?"
19. Pat Humphries - Swimming to the Other Side- Hands -
Folk Plus is a SING OUT! magazine Radio Partner (www.singout.org)
Thanks to all well wishers with my curret battle with neurotoxic poisoning and chemical sensitivities (http://pagewebberink.com/~angie/)
Index to Folk Plus setlists. Check out Angela's interviews / Return to WJFF