Welcome to the fragrance free, chemical free, hydro-powered studios
of WJFF. We are
Public Radio, run mostly by volunteers and funded by members. We have
two week archives at http://www.wjffradio.org/wjff/index.php?section=38
. See our site and listen to our stream
online at WWW.WJFFRADIO.ORG
Folk Plus is a mostly lyrically and theme based show of
contemporary singer-songwriters, some older cuts and perhaps a spoken
word or broadway entry, all based on a theme. It has been hosted since
Page. Check out years of playlists for Folk Plus at http://www.wjffradio.org/FolkPlus
. It airs Saturdays
from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm on WJFF,
at 90.5 fm in Jeffersonville, N.Y. and 94.5 in Monticello N.Y.
following Car Talk.
Mothers day was meant to
promote "the great general interest of peace" . Three woman are
credited with it's creation, and then later disgust with what it
became. The first was
Anna Jarvis senior was a young Appalachian homemaker who had attempted
in 1858 to improve sanitation through what she called "Mothers' Work
Days." She organized women throughout the Civil War to work for better
sanitary conditions for both sides, and in 1868 she began work to
reconcile Union and Confederate neighbors.
This effort influenced Julia Ward Howe, author of the battle hymn of
the republic. She was angry over the death, disease and financial
devostation brought on by the civil war. She worked with women and
orphans of families lost to war from both sides. In 1870
was the beginnings of the Franco-Prussian War. Julia Ward Howe
became determined that peace was one of the
two most important causes of the world. The second was equality in all
forms. She issued a declaration, Here are some famous
people reading that declaration:
** Gloria Steinem speaks about the proclamation and Julia Ward
Howe's vision of Mothers Day
Felicity Huffman, Christine Lahti, Vanessa William
Julia Ward Howe: Mother's Day Proclamation
Mother's Day For Peace
Now songs from a grandmother, a wife and a mother.
1. Faith Petric - (Irene Paull, Barbara Tilsen) Grandma's Battle Cry
515- Faith's Favorites
"I can't even look away my children are the pawns"
Born on September 13, 1915 in a log cabin on a homestead near Orofino,
Idaho and the Clearwater river. She remembers singing in her church at
3 years old. Her dad was the preacher.
In 1872, she went
to London to promote an international Woman's Peace
Congress. She began promoting the idea of a "Mother's Day for Peace" to
be celebrated on June 2, honoring peace, motherhood and
womanhood. In the Boston Mass, she initiated a Mothers'
Peace Day and it became an
annual event and practiced for at least 10 years.
So Mothers day was originally meant as as a call to unite women against
2. Vance Gilbert - Front Porch Song - Unfamiliar Moon - Disismye Music
"they hand me this letter... folded up flag...they tell me he was brave
and I say, tell me something new
he made me feel so safe and secure .... protecting us from something..."
The first Anna Jarvis had a
daughter of the same name. When her mother died, this second Anna
Jarvis started her own crusade to found a memorial day for women. The
first such Mother's Day was celebrated in West Virginia in 1907 in the
church where the elder Anna Jarvis had taught Sunday School. And then
it caught on — spreading eventually to 45 states. Actual mothers day
was declared 1912 and states adapted the idea, and
in 1914 Woodrow Wilson declared the first national mothes day.
Finally the holiday was declared officially by states beginning in
1912, and in 1914 the President, Woodrow Wilson, declared the first
national MOthers Day.
3. Gerri Gribi - I Didn't Raise My
Boy to be a Soldier
WomanSong collection -
"10 million soldiers to the war have gone, who may never return home
4. Carol Williams - Empty Boots -
One Omik Music - firstname.lastname@example.org
(write for a copy!)
"don't give us empty boots, dont make more empty boots, we are wounded
we are weary.."
A caller said he was crying, but thanked me for making
him cry with this song.
"And so sometimes I think that if you
just put the mothers in charge for a while, that things would get
resolved" - Barack Obama
5. Anne Walker - Thats What Im Here For - Labyrinth - Quiet
"when youre not quite sure where the road might lead
anytime you call, theres an open door... thats what Im here for"
6. Pat Humphries - I'll Be There - Hands - Appleseed
"you can always find sanctuary here"
7. Richard Shindell - I Saw My Youth Today- Reuinion HIll - Shanachie
"A moment please my bgoy, don't you know my name, do you remember
8. Cheryl Wheeler - 75 Septembers - Driving Home - Philo
Julie Gold told me that when Cheryl sang that to her dad for the first
time, her dad was silent. Then he asked "75 cent what?"
9. Capitol Steps - Help Me Honda - Obama Mia - www.capsteps.com/
"help me honda... azuzu .. toyoata... subaru... mazda..."
10. Bruce Piephoff - Eavesdropping in Eckerds - Clockwork -
Flyin' Cloud Records
"the best defence is a good offence"
11. Capitol Steps- Subprime Mortgage Holders - Obama Mia -
Subprime Mortgage Holders were so happy. Subprime rates so low, they
made you high" (to the tune of John Denver's Sunshine)
12. Captiol Steps - 401K - Obama Mia - www.capsteps.com/
"4 0 1 K... " to the tune of YMCA
13. Willie Nelson - Where Do You Stand - Naked Willie - RCA Lagacy
"Its time for a showing of hands, whats your plan, where do you stand?
Surely theres someone with courage to say...."
14. Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Waters
Live 1969 - Legacy recordings - Columbia
Live performances from 1968 and 1969, new release from Legacy.
15. Trout Fishing in America - Lullaby - Big Trouble - Trout Music
"Close your eyes and Ill sing you a song, lullaby, sleep til morning
16. Kate Wolf - Across The Great Divide- Close To You -
"counting trouble instead of counting sheep, where the years went, I
can't say, I just turned around, and theyd gone away"
17. Abi Tapia - Let the Lover Be - Beauty in the Ruin - MoonHouse
"when it comes to who they love, give the lovers a choice"
18. The Cast - What's the Buzz - Jesus Christ Superstar - MCA
"It seems to me a strange thing, mystifying, that a man like you, can
waste his time on woman of her kind"
19. Garnet Rogers - Small Victory - All that Is - Red House
"they raced her past her time, she had the heart but her legs were gone"
20. Tamarack - Fields of Rock and Snow- Fields of Rock and Snow - Folk
"don't you ever try the farming life ... in north ontario"
21. Karen Savoca - On the River Road - Alcove Music
Karen and Pete will be appearing locally at the Tusten Theatre May 23,
22. Story Hill - Give Up the Ghost - Storyhill - Red House
"find your way back to the shore, I've loved before, loved you the
most, give up the ghost"
23. Lynn Miles - 1000 Lovers - Lover Sweet Love - True North
"1000 mothers could sing hush now don't you cry, theres nothing in the
world tonight thats gonna take away my pain"
24. Ken Theriot - Son of the Sea - Human History - Raven Boy Music
"I'm the wind on the ocean - I'm one with the land"
25. Erica Wheeler - Good summer Rain - Good Summer Rain -Blue Pie Music
"YOur children won't knwo it the way I did, up the river road, how I
used to live"
26. Sara Thomsen - A Woman's Place - Everything Changes -
"We are change makers, tenders fo the earth
woman giving birth
Doctor, Dancers, Scientist Carpenter Journalist.... "
27. Priscilla Herdman - I'll Love You Forever - Forever and Always -
Based on Robert Munsch's kids book "Love You Forever"
28. Clannad - Nil Se'n La- Clannad in Concert - Shanachie
A drinking song - Its not yet day....