show involves nonsense syllables in the cut - what I thought might be a
hard bunch to gather, has turned out to be more than I can air in the
two hours... so here we go.
Thanks to John Webber, Mike Jung, Paul Stamler, Mikey Vandow and some listeners with their submissions and ideas.
2. Full Frontal Folk - Katey Cruel 227 -
Storming the Castle - fullfrontalfolk.com
oh, diddle alley day, o dee diddle aye oh day
3. Enoch Kent - Billy Taylor 449- For the
Women - Second Avenue Records
Right fol laddie tor a laddie o right for ladie toor a loor a lay
4. The Beatles - Ob La Di Ob La Da - White
Album - Capitol
Ob La Di Ob La Da
5. Shirley Ellis - Name Game 232 - Very
Best of - Taragon
banana panna bo banny
6.Clancy Brothers - Mr. Moses
Ri-Tooral-I-Ay 226 - Best of the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem -
Moses ri tooral i oril i ay
7. Colcannon - The Game Cock 254 -
Some Foreign Land - www.colcannon.com/
fal did a lary lary lay, fal did a lary lary aye dooo
8. Crystals - Da Do Ron Ron - Best of... -
Da Do Ron Ron
10. David Massengill - Down Derry Down
537- Twilight the Taj Majal - Plump Records
allelujah, siss boom bah, la dee dah, fiddledee diffledum, by golly by gum, down derry down
11. Art Thieme - Red Iron Ore 348-
The Older I get the Better I was - Waterbug
derry down, down, down derry down
12. Bryan Bowers - Scotsman 226 - Home,
HOme on the Road - Flying Fish
Ring Ding diddle diddle eye dee do... [ending at 44:53 ]
13. Pete Seeger - Never Wed An Old
Man 236 - Live in '65 - Appleseed
fal da lah la doodle, hi derry down.. he's lost his ding doodle....
14. Broadside Electric - Babylon
546- More Bad News - Clever Sheep Records
tooralee and a lowy oh
Eric Weissberg ["The Greenbriar
Boys." '58 and "The Tarriers" in 1959 won two gold records and a
grammy for dueling Banjos... way back when.. but lately has been
playing with Mickey Vandow. Both are veterans
of many decades of the folk revival in many forms.
Mickey recorded a couple of cuts for this show especially, and I asked
him to record introductions also as he is an expert of area folklore
and orgins of music, which he did and sent as MP3s.
15. Mickey Vandow - Katey Morey Intro
Mickey Vandow - Katey Morey - single MP3 mailed in
wack fol lathero tathero tay
just the ending bit of ...
Frank Sinatra "ever since that night, we've been together, lovers at first sight..."
Do BE Do Be Doooo
17. John Wesley Harding, Kelly Hogan,
Brian Lohmann, Nora O'Connor - Lady dressed in Green 216 - Songs of
Misfortune - Appleseed
fair a lare a lye doe
18. Ian and Sylvia - The Greenwood
Sidie-o 225 [cruel mother, child ballad #20] - Best of Ian
and Sylvia - Vanguard
Onalee and a loanee
19. Finest Kind [Ian Robb, Shelley posen
Ann downey]- Gowe Wassail 329 - Lost in a Song
fol di dol al di dol di dol al di dol di dol al di dol di dee... fol de dare all all di dare ee... sing toora lie doe
20. John Roberts and Tony Barrand -
Old Bangum 317 - Twiddlum Twaddlum - Golden Hind Music
derrum derrum derrum .. killy coe co
Recently Roberts and Barrand stated that
the old "lilting" and... 'derry down ' stuff, was old english for 'do
21. Manfred Mann - Do Wah Ditty 213
There she was just a walking down the street, singing, "do wah ditty ditty dum ditty doo".
23. Peggy Seeger & Ewan MacColl -
Hughie Graeme 412- Chorus from the Gallows
"Tay Amarray-o, Londonderry, tay amarray-o Londondee"
24. Roger Miller - Do Wacka Do 147 - All
Time Greatest Hits - Mercury
do wacka do wack do wacka do wacka do wack do
25. Kingston Trio - Whistling Gypsy 302-
Close Up - Capitol
lah dee do lad dee do dah day
26. Roger Miller - In the Summertime You Dont Want My Love 147 - All Time Greatest Hits - Mercury
do dah dee.....bah do
"Sarasponda, sarasponda, sarasponda,
ret-set-set. . ." was a work song of women spinning, as many
songs began with keeping
the rhythm of work.
27.Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke -
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious 230 - Mary Poppins
On the contrary there is a very good word... am I right Bert?
31. Woody Guthrie - Whoopie Ti Yi Yo -
Buffalo Skinners - Smithsonian
whoopie ti yi yo...
32. Ariana Gills- Boom dah - Arianna
Gillis - Arianna is in the running for best young emerging canadian
artist at the Ottawa Canadian Awards.
going boom dah... boom da..... brew down brew down...sing la da da, da da, da da... going la da da da da ooo,
33. Tempest - Whiskey in the Jar -
Serrated Edge - Firebird - http://www.tempestmusic.com/html/
musha ring dum do da dah, wack fol the daddy o
34. Debra Cowan - Bullgine Run 255 - Banks
of Green Willow - DebraCowan.com
a hey a hoe .... hey rig a jig... Give me hey rig-a-jig in a low back car,
Folk Plus is a SING OUT! magazine Radio Partner (www.singout.org)Index to Folk Plus setlists. Check out my interviews before I developed Chemical Intolerance