9. Phil Ochs - The War is Over - Best of Phil Ochs: Millennium
Collection - 20th Century Masters - A&M
Sonny has been running Phil Ochs
nights for over 27years. Artists
sing Phil's songs. The next one being at the Linda, which will be live
on WAMC. in May.
10. Phil Ochs - When I'm Gone -
There But for Fortune - Elecktra
There But for Fortune is playing now in NYC, and moving up to Hudson
next week: http://firstrunfeatures.com/philochs_playdates.html
Time & Space Limited 434 Columbia St Hudson, NY 12534
Located at 434 Columbia St (Truck Route 9G) in Downtown Hudson, NY. 1
Block North of Warren St, in between 4th and 5th a few blocks
West of Rt-9.
Travel Advisory: Rt 9G is closed North of Germantown.
(South of Hudson and South of the Rip Van Winkle Bridge) We recommend
taking Route 9, there are detour signs along the way.
Friday, Jan 14th: 5:30pm, Saturday,
Jan 15th: 5:30pm, Sunday, Jan 16th: 5:30pm
Thursday, Jan 20th: 7:30pm, Saturday, Jan 22nd: 7:30pm, Sunday, Jan
Member: $5, General: $7, Student: $5
Reactions from audience members upon
leaving the movie.
11. Roger: "Well done... certainly a political arc that follows the
decade...a graph of the way a lot of people thought... starting with a
note of optomism and then by the end of the decade disolution and
finally a black hole of depression...This is a man who gave so much and
needed help himself. I hope there are more ways to help people now than
there were then." "His songs are so powerful, they will alwasy be
around I feel."
12. Anonymous "unfortunately the world seems to be that those still
same goals and objectives never seem to be accomplished"
13. Andrea "I used to sing Phil's songs in summer camp, and went to his
concerts. My sister took guitar from his sister Sonny. I htought his
music were brilliant now and that was affirmed today. .. so powerful...
affective. I thought the movie was moving and well done. The issues he
was fighting for, conitnue to need someone fighting for them today. It
was moving and I'm so happy that I saw it."
14. Introduction to cut 12 on Best
of Phil Ochs: Millennium Collection - 20th Century Masters - A&M
Phil mentions wearing the gold lamé suit and says "trick is, wearing a suit like this, how
do you come to terms with weath in a world so filled with troubles"
15. Annonymous: I was at the concert when he came out with the gold
lame suit, and booing. Now I feel so sad that we bood him. Not much has
changed. He was such a troubled soul, I didnt realize that he had that
degree of mental struggle. I could listen to all his songs all over
again, and will go home and do that."
16. Phil Ochs - There But For Fortune - There But for Fortune - Elektra
Now if your bug to see live music has been awaken, here are a few
options. If you are up north of here...
Sweet Patootie, members of tanglefoot, are at the Oswego Music
Sat Jan 8th - 8pm The Music
Hall Oswego, NY, US 315 342 1733 Roy C. McCrobie
Civic Center, 41 Lake Street, Oswego, New York
Sun Jan 9th - 2pm The Endicott Performing
Arts Center 102 Washington Avenue. Endicott NY
My Sweet Patootie - DaddyNeeds a New Tractor - Pattootifield -
And if you are heading into NYC:
BettySoo is playing in New York, NY on Saturday, January 8 and Sunday,
January 9 at Rodeo Bar (375 3rd Ave.- nearest subway stop is at 28th
St. & Lex).
Both showcases are free to the public, and Betty will be playing with
special guest Doug Cox on Dobro.
18. Betty Soo - Whisper My Name
- Heat Sin Water SKin - betysoo.com
UP NEXT WEEK
Crooked still at the egg in Albany - best music of 2010 on npr http://www.npr.org/2010/12/23/132264179/folk-alleys-best-folk-albums-of-2010
Date: Saturday, January 15, 2011
Information phone: (518) 473-1845: http://theegg.org/
THE EGG Venue address: Center for the Performing Arts |
Empire State Plaza | Albany, New YorkShow time: 8:00 PM
fourth recording from the quintet Crooked Still, Some Strange Country,
was recorded in a studio in Virginia, and the recording session didn't
go quite as planned. The group was almost done when they were trapped
for a few extra days by a sudden snowstorm. The forced isolation
encouraged what is ultimately a collaborative project at its best --
each of the five contributed equally to the album. And it's got the
unmistakable "Crooked Still" sound: inventive arrangements of
traditional tunes with some incredible virtuosity.
Rosendale Cafe has The HoneyDewDrops Sat 15th
Now some highlights from Sing Outs Jan 2011 issue
19. Jory Nash- Soul Kid - New Blue Day - jorynash.com
I recorded Smokey Robinson's "tracks of my tears" on my previous
record, and CBC's Vinyl Cafe included it on their "Greatest Cover Songs
of All Time" program. I was quite tickled, until I went to the Vinyl
Cafe website, where listeners can post their own comments, and some
dude had written something like" Mr. Nash should NOT be singing Smokey
Robinson!". Harsh...sort of implying I've got no soul. So in response I
wrote a tune for THAT guy and included it on my new CD. It's called
Soul Kid. Sirius/XM's The Coffeehouse picked it up and it has since
made me more royalty money than my entire previous catalogue combined.
Take that, complaining guy. The track features the luscious DALA on
20. Cloudstreet - [Francey] Waking Hour - Circus of Desires -
21. Craig Werth - My Way or the Highway - Spokes Man - craigwerth.com
22. Peter Ostroushko - Maycomb, Alabama 1936- When The last Morning
Glory Blooms - Red House
23. 3 Penny Acre - Riverboat - Highway 71 - 3pennyacre.com
24. Justin Townes Earle - Learning to Cry - Harlen River Blues -
25. Krista Detor - Reckless & Rust - Chocolate Paper Suites -
Tightrope Records kristadetor.com
26. Chris Kokesh - I Hear the Trains - October Valentine -
27. Robbie and Kath - Naming the Twins - namingthetwins.com
28. Carpenter & May - [Lennon/Mcartney] We Can Work it Out -
Carpenter and May - Violin Shop Records carpenterandmay.com
29. L J Booth - Box Elder - The Road that Leads me Home - ljbooth.com
30. Matt Watroba - Shine Right Through the Dark - Yellow Room Records
31. Paul Kamm and Eleanore MacDonald - Ship Gonna Sail - From the Fire
- Freewheel Records
32. Great Big Sea - Safe Upon the Shore - Safe Upon the Shore -
33. Finest Kind [Robb, Posen, Downey] - Lass That Loved a Sailor - For
Honour & For Gain - Fallen Angle Music
34. Marc Black - I Love You Rachel Maddow - Pictures of the Highway -
35. Terence Martin - Rivers Still RIsing - Last Black and White TV -
36. Lissa Schneckenburger - Petronella - Dance - lissafiddle.com